|To search the database for the type of accommodation that exactly matches your requirements, use the boxes below.|
Sangare Tented Camp is located in a 6500 acre private ranch in the northern foothills of the Aberdare Mountains in Central Kenya. The camp situated in one of the Aberdare's most exquisite settings, overlooking a magnificent fresh water lake, and set against the backdrop of Sangare hill. With spectacular views across the plains, Sangare is one of the richest private wildlife sanctuaries and hosts; elephants, buffalos, zebras, giraffes, antelopes, leopards, warthogs amongst many others. Numerous activities and excursions around the region are offered.
- Distance: Sangare tented camp is located approx 166 km north of Nairobi, 27 km from Nyeri town and 50 km from Nanyuki
- Via Air: Nairobi-Nanyuki airstrip-Sangare – approx 30 minutes
- Nairobi-Mweiga airstrip-Sangare – approx 20 minutes
- Directly to Sangare tented camp with a 4x4 wheel drive – approx 166 Km – 3 hrs
- Nyeri is 197 km north of Nairobi (a 3 hour 30 minute drive). The hotel stands above a gorge through which flows the Chania River. Set in rolling gardens, it features numerous ancient trees and flowering shrubs.
Overlooking the lake, with panoramic views, are twelve luxury tents, all with private verandahs. Each spacious tent is furnished with African rustic furniture and either two queen-sized or one king-sized four poster bed. The tents have ensuite bathrooms with hot and cold running water, shower and flushed WC).
- Number of tents:10
- Number of honeymoon Suites: 2
- Number of cottages: 2
- Bed types available: Single / Double / Twin / Triple
- 24 hour room service, personal bar on request, safe at main reception, 24-hour hot water
Dining and bars
The main lounge and dining area consists of a high thatch roof, the ridge-lines of which emulate Mount Sangare, which towers over the ranch. The dining area, which has a log fire, also offers a campfire in the evenings. Meals can also be taken on the outdoor terrace, which overlooks the lake. Meals are made from pure organic vegetables and fruits grown in the ranch’s own garden; all breads, pastries and pies are home made. Our specialty dish is freshly caught rainbow trout. We cater for a wide range of tastes including vegetarian specialities.
The camp welcomes children.
What to see and do
- SANGARE RANCH DAY GAME DRIVE - Enjoy a superb game drive in our wild vast plains as you admire the different species of animals, including giraffes, elephants, leopards, zebras, buffalos, antelopes, zebroids amongst others.
- SANGARE RANCH NIGHT DRIVE - The ultimate African experience is enjoying a night game drive watching the entire galaxy, identifying stars and spotting the nocturnal animals.
- ABERDARES NATIONAL PARK GAME DRIVE - A game drive in the Aberdare Park is an ideal way to spend an afternoon. A short drive away, the Aberdare Park offers lovely Afro Alpine Moorlands. Hopefully you will see elephants, rhinos, buffalos and other plains in this park.
- Visit the famous Queen Elizabeth picnic site.
- EXCURSION TO SOLIO RANCH - You cannot afford to miss the precious white rhino during your game drive in the beautiful vast savannah of the Solio game reserve. Other notable species include cheetahs, black rhino, giraffes, and elephants amongst many others.
- NIGHT GAME WALK - With lamps tied to your head, a 45 minute night game walk after dinner is a lovely idea. You cannot go to bed without having seen the leopard!!
- HORSEBACK RIDING - Gallop along the magnificent lake across the vast forest while enjoying the humming tunes of our many beautiful species of birds.
- MOUNTAIN BIKING - Have fun riding bikes on the wonderful terrain as you watch the animals walk by. You can travel long distances, at your own pace in a completely natural environment. There are few better ways to see the bush!
- BOAT RIDING - Spend a leisurely afternoon drifting along the lake in our inflatable canoes in the most peaceful and tranquil environment.
- MYSTERIOUS RIVER RIDES - For the most adventurous a ride along our ‘haunted Horny river’ is a must. You don’t know what will happen next….
- BIRD WALKS - Sangare Lake is home to over 300 species of African as well as migratory birds. Enjoy a walk through the variety of birds with our qualified naturalist with lectures on the Surrounding areas.
- TREKKING - Trek through our vast plains, savannahs, forests as you marvel the various species of animals, birds, plants as you uncover our famous Sangare Hill.
- FLY FISHING - Take your gear and let’s see how good you are in catching the famous ‘Rainbow trout’. Imagine the live BBQ tantalizing feast afterwards.
- ‘MOUNTAIN PEAK’ BREAKFAST - After having climbed the mountain and enjoyed the amazing views of the Aberdares Valley, a spectacular sunrise awaits you as you enjoy a delicious breakfast.
- BUSH LUNCH - Enjoy a delicious ‘gourmet’ lunch overlooking magnificent plains and savannahs while you watch the most elegant giraffes and zebras passing nearby.
- SUNDOWNER - Unwind in the evening with a refreshing sundowner on open plains where you watch the changing colors of the African sky as the dust settles and the air cools.
- BBQ DINNERS AT THE FAMOUS MAU MAU CAVES - Enjoy the sounds of the African night and the hospitality of our experienced chefs as they prepare a sumptuous live BBQ for you in the midst of the historic Mau Mau caves. This will make your evening truly memorable.
- TRADITIONAL DANCES - What a better way to end the day than watching local traditional dances and drummers entertaining you around the bonfire while you sip away your favorite drink.
- FLOWER FARM VISIT - Visit our nearby flower farm ‘Mweiga Blooms’ where you will be taken on a guided tour to see the process of flower farming of hundreds of different species of roses. We will bid you farewell with a gift of a ‘bouquet’ of roses.
- TEA FARM VISIT - Look forward to an Agricultural visit to our tea farm where our experts will guide you through the entire tea making process. Wind up sipping your tea while enjoying home made cookies.