Cottar's 1920s is located on 22,000 acres of private land within the Masai Mara National Reserve. The Cottar safari tradition, which was established in 1919 when members of the European aristocracy flocked to East Africa in search of ‘big game, remains unchanged. Nearly 90 years, this originally family-run camp continues to provide an unparalleled safari experience for the truly discerning clients. Cottars excel in the provision of the original essence of ‘safari’, while the camp is reminiscent of a bygone era of romance, adventure and unparalleled elegance.
Voted ‘Best Safari Camp’, Harpers and Queen. Also voted ‘Best Tented Camp in the world’, Tatler Magazine.
The Masai Mara is 270 Kms from Nairobi (five hours by road). The reserve offers numerous airstrips and flights are typically less than an hour from Nairobi. The camp is located in the south-east Masai Mara National Reserve, bordering the Serengeti and Loliondo reserves. Located in an untouched exclusive private concession, the location guarantees privacy and an abundance of wildlife.
Airstrips: Keekorok airstrip and Cottars 1920’s private airstrip for private charters.
Cottar's 1920s luxury accommodation includes seven stylish and spacious white canvas tents as well as a family / honeymoon tent. Each Cottar's 1920s tent is luxuriously finished with safari antiques from the 1920s and includes a veranda, dressing room and an en suite bathroom with shower and flush wc. Limited laundry service. There is also a tented library and reading room.
Included in the Cottar's 1920s rate is: full Board Accommodation, soft drinks, beer, house wines and non-luxury spirits, Day & Night Game Drives, Guided Bush Walks, Transfers to Cultural Visits (The actual cultural visit will incur an extra fee), Bush Meals, Sundowners and bush spa treatments.
Dining and bars
All meals at Cottar's 1920s are served in the elegant dining area with full sliver service. The Cottar's 1920s dining experience is true to the 1920’s ambience and features elegant cuisine, crystal glass, white napiery and silver service. The Cottar's 1920s staff wear traditional white tunics and fez. Champagne, special wines and luxury spirits are additional at an additional fee. The Cottar's 1920s menu will typically include a wide selection of typically East African Safari or Kenyan favourites as well as numerous international choices (vegetarian options always available).
Conference and event facilities
Cottar's 1920s does not offer specific East Africa Safari conference facilities but will be happy to quote for small meetings and social gatherings or for incentive options centered on the annual migration of the wildebeest.
Weddings and honeymoons
This Kenya tented camp makes an ideal East African Safari honeymoon destination, more especially since it offers the chance of observing the annual migration of the wildebeest.
Cottar's 1920s welcomes children.
What to see and do
Whilst at this East African Safari tented camp the following activities are offered:
- Game Drives, nature walks and medicinal plant discovery: Experience the real safari – morning and afternoon game drives through the park with our trained driver-guides. Picnic lunches and sundowners can be provided. Our Maasai guides also offer guided nature walks, bird-spotting, tracking and medicinal plant walks.
- River Fishing and swimming: Guests can enjoy swimming and fishing in the rivers of the reserve.
- Visit to an authentic Maasai En’kaang: To experience the true Maasai culture, we offer a visit to a traditional Maasai village or En’kaang. Here guests will be given a traditional Maasai welcome (with dance and song), experience a unique insight into the Maasai lifestyle, learn more about Maasai handicrafts (beading and leatherwork) and have the opportunity to purchase Maasai artifacts direct from those who make them.
- Bush lunches and dinners: Private ‘bush’ lunches and dinners can be arranged in the bush, complete with waiters, private bar and private BBQ cooking station, campfires and hurricane lamps.
- Bush Spa: The camp offers luxurious massages and beauty treatments.